Sunday, November 1, 2015

Another Broken Egg Cafe - Olive Ave. (Burbank)

November 1st, 2015 - (Phil's Pick)


This was a lazy morning. The kind of morning that doesn't start until 9:30am, and the only reason it started that early was because you said you'd be somewhere at ten. The kind of morning where you can turn to someone and say, "why yes, I AM wearing the same clothes that I wore yesterday," and then lean in and whisper, "even the undies." It was not a morning to be adventurous or creative. So, as such, I went back to a place that I have been a few times before:

Another Broken Egg Cafe - On the corner of Third and Olive. It is my old stand-by, merely because it was the first place in Burbank that I had brunch. It did not disappoint then, and it certainly didn't this morning, either.

It was a hectic morning at Another Broken Egg, as half the city of Burbank seemed to have the same idea as I did. Their wait-time was estimated at 45 minutes. They send you a text when your table is ready, though, which I thought was pretty cool. While I waited, I sat at the bar with a cup of coffee and a Cappuccino Chocolate Chip Muffin.


At the bar, people were standing and cheering at some football game on the bar television - which caused the impending end of baseball season to hang thickly over my head. As I dreaded hearing people talk about football for three more months, I sulked and read Jean Anouilh's "Ring Round the Moon", while trying to find momentary comfort in the warm, gooey muffin. The muffin tasted like a pancake in all the best ways, but could not wash away the sour taste of football season.

On a brighter note, their coffee is Stumptown coffee. It is one of my favorite coffees, and is certainly a taste of home out here in this city of fallen angels.

Today, it was just Codie and me. Ann got a gig on a television show, (YAY!) so she wasn't able to be here. (BOO!) But it's a good gig, (YAY!) and she's very happy (YAY AGAIN!) about it. In celebration of Ann's success, I had my first eggs benedict in a long time.


That is a black-bean patty benedict. The eggs were well-poached, (if there is such a thing) and the potatoes were lightly browned. The only downside to this dish was that they managed to sneak a slice of tomato under each patty. I didn't notice until after the first bite. I ended up eating the whole thing as presented - putting away my moral objections to the demonfruit.

Then Codie, true to form, went after the french toast. My pre-adolenscent self would have approved.


We had already dove in for a bite or two before I remembered to take pictures. She had made it a combo, and that means it comes with two eggs and two strips of bacon. Codie was not able to make it through all of her french toast. A classic case of eyes-larger-than-stomach. Again, my 10 year old self would have approved... and then finished the plate for her.

Another Broken Egg is four-star comfort food, in a comfortable place with comfortable people. Even the coffee mugs are comfy little clay mugs. The outside dining area is as large as the inside, and on a morning/afternoon like this one, it would have also been comfy to sit outside and bask in the cool 75 degree sun. And the sum total of the meal was a comfortable $16 per person.

They don't do any one thing AMAZINGLY. They just do everything very well. If you are in the mood to just chill with some people for an unspecific period of time, and eat well while doing so, look no further than Another Broken Egg. I certainly wasn't prepared to look too far beyond it. But after six cups of coffee in my system, I was ready to do all of my chores for the day at Warp 9.


With Phillip "The Depths of Pretension" Meyer, and Codie "Obscure Reference" Beck.

www.anotherbrokenegg.com

1 comment:

  1. I think you managed somehow to be both obscure and pretentious in your chosen nicknames this week.

    ReplyDelete