Sunday, November 22, 2015

Salt's Cure - Santa Monica Blvd. (West Hollywood)

November 15th, 2015 - (Greg's Choice)

I have been reticent in my duties as weekly blogger. To solve that problem, I needed the help of a man who can both intellectually stimulate me and cut me down at the same time. A man who is fun-loving and critical all at once. A man who can laugh with both lightness AND rancor.


Meet Greg Heaton. This is a man I've known for a long time, now, from our days in Oregon so long ago. We had a brunch then tennis that day. He said he was too full after brunch, but then promptly had me for breakfast in a set of tennis to the tune of 6-0. Ouch. However, before he laid a shellacking on me the likes of which no Roman before me has felt, he was gracious enough to introduce me to this place:


Salt's Cure - The corner store of hip breakfast diners. The menu is also your table place mat. It is also about ten items long. Most of which come with some form of ham or bacon.


French press coffee always wins. It was frothy and delicious. At least, the amount that was left in it after Greg accidentally poured a quarter of it onto the table. (You can almost see the remnants of the puddle around the coffee press) The coffee here was very nice, and certainly made me feel like I was back home in Portland.


You are currently staring at the "2x2x2" - which is two eggs, two sausage patties and two strips of bacon. On yeah, they threw a biscuit on there for good measure. (The jam is amazing, by the by) Greg told me he pitied me that I could not eat the bacon, as it was thick, but crispy on the outside and lovely and fatty on the inside. Sounds like me when I was 19.


I, uncharacteristically, went for the oatcakes. Which may have contributed to my downfall in tennis afterward. (Or was it that I hadn't played for seven years prior) But the oatcakes were phenominal. That is a not a piece of cat poop on top of the oatcakes. It is a pat of brown sugar butter. Which was light and added JUST enough to the cakes to compliment them, without going way overboard. Because I need some protein I ordered a side of eggs, as well. Most everything comes ala carte on this menu, unless otherwise specified.

The total for this meal, which was well proportioned, ended up being around $20. Which, to me, was a little on the high-end. But the atmosphere is good, the food is very well done, for the amount that you get, and the service is quick and efficient. If you're going to spend a morning getting your ass handed to you in a set of tennis, this is a pretty good silver-lining to it.

With Phillip "Unforced Error" Meyer, and Gregory "Soft Serve, Dominating Stroke" Heaton

saltscure.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment