Saturday, January 30, 2016

Jinkys Studio Cafe - Colfax Ave. (Studio City)

January 17th, 2016 - (Codie and Bill's Choice)

I may or may not have agreed to eat an entire gallon of lentil soup the night before this brunch. Let me explain:

I love lentil soup. To be more specific, I love MY DAD'S lentil soup. I cannot eat it anymore, as it contains three different kinds of sausage and some beef. But it still makes my mouth water to think of it. And it makes my stomach turn somersaults to remember just how much of it I consumed as an adolescent child.


Well, I proclaimed my love of lentil soup at Greg Heaton's birthday gathering. And when I did so, I did it with a sweeping exaggeration that I often use when I want to "make a point" about something. I said, something along the lines of, "I would happily just sit down and eat a gallon of lentil soup instead of an entree." Then someone said they would like to see that. A few beers later, I found myself "shaking hands on it" for the lentil soup challenge.

The challenge:

I will eat one gallon (measured) of lentil soup over a 6 hour period. There will be no getting up from the table until it is done. I may have one bathroom break. If I throw up any time during the challenge, I lose. If I throw up three hours after the challenge, or before, I lose. If I do not finish the gallon in six hours, I lose. ...I really need to stop finding shit like this funny.

Of course, nothing about that has anything to do with brunch this time around.


Jinky's Studio Cafe - On the corner of Ventura Blvd. and fucking nowhere.

Chili. It's what makes America... um... well, unhealthy, and downright stinky with a nasty case of diarrhea. But God DAMN, it's good. We don't care if we see blood in our stool. We're going to eat three - no - FOUR bowls. We'll deal with and suffer the consequences later! And so will everyone else in the room! And, perhaps, that is a perfect analogy for the way the people in our country conduct themselves.

I cannot have a great variety of chili. I am a pescetarian, you see, and I have yet to see a seafood chili. I'm sure it exists. I'm not sure it would be good. So I settle for vegetarian chili, and I suffer the look of judgement I receive as I order it.

Jinky's does chili. And it does chili well. At any given moment they serve seven different kinds of chili ranging in spiciness on a scale of 1-10. Most every dish they offer comes with this chili, and any omelet you order comes covered in a chili of your choosing.


I ended up having a Sherman Oaks Omelet. Simple spinach, mushroom and feta. It was topped with the one veggie chili they served. Spicy factor: 4. It left a little tingle in my mouth, but nothing that truly lasted. The breakfast potatoes were a little underdone, but I think that was a style thing. The while idea behind the place was that you got a MESS of food. They tasted perfectly fine, they just didn't have that individual munch that I have grown attached to during brunches. That's rye bread in the corner.


Bill came out of hiding, everyone! He decided not to be a loser this time! And he got a good solid scramble. I think it was the chili jumble plate, but I am not quite sure. Spicy factor: 6. I would have given it a 7, except that the spice was more middle-eastern than anything else. It didn't leave a BURN so much as a FLAVOR. Which, I suppose, is the sign of a good chili. There was just something weird about seeing a chili, but tasting a curry.


Codie, true to form, got the banana crepes with Nutella. Spicy factor: 0. Sugar factor: 15. I do not understand why they add an optional pat of butter. Seems like there's enough going on in this plate, but I suppose some people just need their milk product. The sprig of parsley on the side amuses me. Like it's saying, "seriously, guy. This plate is a totally valid and healthy option. Go on. Relax. I'll be here. And I won't judge."

The bill ended up being around $15-$17 a person. That includes a personal pot of coffee for me, and a couple of sodas for them. Not only is it reasonable, but the absolute MURDER of food that you get makes every penny work for you. Once you get through the bible of a menu, you won't be disappointed.

With Phillip "One Gallon" Meyer, Codie "Good Noodle" Beck, and Bill "You Have to Eat the Sour Cream" Neitz.

http://www.jinkys.com/Studio-City.html

No comments:

Post a Comment