January 3rd, 2016 - (Phil's Pick, but not Phil's Find)
I played tennis with Greg yesterday. And I beat him. At least, I won the full set we played. (6-4) We had to stop because of a party we needed to go to. Greg was ahead 4-3 when we quit. Also, I think neither of us wanted to admit how gassed our arms were after one and a half sets of ACTUAL serving and REAL volleying. Win or lose, it's REALLY fun. (Did I say that all the other times when I lost? I can't remember...)
Today I chose to break in the New Year of brunching at a place that was introduced to me by the one-and-only Ann Beckette - the original brunch buddy. She showed me this place all the way back in August before I even had a job in this city of fallen angels.
Bea Bea's - Customers who wish to dine outdoors get to choose between a lovely view of the grocery store parking lot, and looking out over one of the worst merging lanes on Pass Ave.
Kat Covell joined me this morning/afternoon. And just like the last time we went brunching, we were sat at the bar. It seems just right that the two ex-touring crew people would eat their meals at a bar. (No alcohol, though. It's not REALLY a crew bar)
Our wait time was around 25 minutes, so I drug her across the street to the starbucks to get a coconut milk flat-white. It was fine, but I certainly didn't need it, as the first thing that I ordered when I sat at the bar was black coffee. Silly reflexes.
Florentine Benedict. FLORENTINE BENEDICT. FLORENTINE BENEDIIIIIIIICT!!!!!
Kat had the...you know what? I don't think that is a Florentine Benedict. Well, whatever. I got the second part right.
Bea Bea's got the whole thing right. Those are PERFECTLY poached eggs. Exactly as runny in the center as they should be, but not slimy. Immediately following this picture, Kat dumped about 8 ounces of hot sauce on the plate.
I went for the self-titled "Bea Bea's Omelet." Asparagus, avocado, spinach, peppers, jalapeno, and a WHOLE lot of feta. I don't know if you can see it, but there is a massive chunk of soft feta cheese on the top of the omelet.
Last week I sort of thought to myself, "I guess there's not much you can do with an omelet. It's just eggs and veggies. Perhaps it can only get so good before it's all just one and the same." Let me tell you right now that that is not true. Anyone can make an "okay" omelet. And it'll get the job done. But Bea Bea's added flair to it. Not only in the looks, but also in the substance. This omelet had basil tones in there, with a little bit of jalapeno for some kick. The right balance of veggies for texture, as well as the right amount of cheese for the whole thing. Not overpowering, but certainly a feature.
Between two people for those platters and coffee, it was about $30. Not horrible at all. If you are thinking about eating here, please do not be discouraged by the lines. There is always a wait for this place. Often times they will tell you it'll be 30 minutes. It'll really be 15. And it's worth the wait.
I will tell you now that this place is known primarily for its waffles, french toast and pancakes. One thing in particular that gets high accolades are the green tea pancakes. Ann had them when I first came here, and she professed they were delicious. If you're looking for brunch in this area, and you've got a hankering for some food that'll sit with you for a while, look no further than Bea Bea's. Their kids are ready to fill your bellies with brunchy goodness.
With Phillip "Garlic Press" Meyer, and Kat "Creepy Mom Gift" Covell.
https://www.facebook.com/Bea-Beas-215911686420/
I played tennis with Greg yesterday. And I beat him. At least, I won the full set we played. (6-4) We had to stop because of a party we needed to go to. Greg was ahead 4-3 when we quit. Also, I think neither of us wanted to admit how gassed our arms were after one and a half sets of ACTUAL serving and REAL volleying. Win or lose, it's REALLY fun. (Did I say that all the other times when I lost? I can't remember...)
Today I chose to break in the New Year of brunching at a place that was introduced to me by the one-and-only Ann Beckette - the original brunch buddy. She showed me this place all the way back in August before I even had a job in this city of fallen angels.
Bea Bea's - Customers who wish to dine outdoors get to choose between a lovely view of the grocery store parking lot, and looking out over one of the worst merging lanes on Pass Ave.
Kat Covell joined me this morning/afternoon. And just like the last time we went brunching, we were sat at the bar. It seems just right that the two ex-touring crew people would eat their meals at a bar. (No alcohol, though. It's not REALLY a crew bar)
Our wait time was around 25 minutes, so I drug her across the street to the starbucks to get a coconut milk flat-white. It was fine, but I certainly didn't need it, as the first thing that I ordered when I sat at the bar was black coffee. Silly reflexes.
Florentine Benedict. FLORENTINE BENEDICT. FLORENTINE BENEDIIIIIIIICT!!!!!
Kat had the...you know what? I don't think that is a Florentine Benedict. Well, whatever. I got the second part right.
Bea Bea's got the whole thing right. Those are PERFECTLY poached eggs. Exactly as runny in the center as they should be, but not slimy. Immediately following this picture, Kat dumped about 8 ounces of hot sauce on the plate.
I went for the self-titled "Bea Bea's Omelet." Asparagus, avocado, spinach, peppers, jalapeno, and a WHOLE lot of feta. I don't know if you can see it, but there is a massive chunk of soft feta cheese on the top of the omelet.
Last week I sort of thought to myself, "I guess there's not much you can do with an omelet. It's just eggs and veggies. Perhaps it can only get so good before it's all just one and the same." Let me tell you right now that that is not true. Anyone can make an "okay" omelet. And it'll get the job done. But Bea Bea's added flair to it. Not only in the looks, but also in the substance. This omelet had basil tones in there, with a little bit of jalapeno for some kick. The right balance of veggies for texture, as well as the right amount of cheese for the whole thing. Not overpowering, but certainly a feature.
Between two people for those platters and coffee, it was about $30. Not horrible at all. If you are thinking about eating here, please do not be discouraged by the lines. There is always a wait for this place. Often times they will tell you it'll be 30 minutes. It'll really be 15. And it's worth the wait.
I will tell you now that this place is known primarily for its waffles, french toast and pancakes. One thing in particular that gets high accolades are the green tea pancakes. Ann had them when I first came here, and she professed they were delicious. If you're looking for brunch in this area, and you've got a hankering for some food that'll sit with you for a while, look no further than Bea Bea's. Their kids are ready to fill your bellies with brunchy goodness.
With Phillip "Garlic Press" Meyer, and Kat "Creepy Mom Gift" Covell.
https://www.facebook.com/Bea-Beas-215911686420/

No comments:
Post a Comment