December 6th, 2015 - (Braden's Choice)
Braden had been wanting to take us to this place for a while, now. And I was thrilled when he contacted me midway through the week to suggest going to this place. You see, Braden often is not available to brunch with me on Sundays due to work. So my little heart got all excited when he mentioned that he would be there this week for brunch.
And then he backed out.
Now, I know that work often oppresses him in ways that can be described as familial. And I do not pretend to know the extent of what he has to deal with. But he got my hopes up, and then broke my brunch-heart. So, as revenge, I went to the very place that he suggested!
Eat This Cafe - The corner store of hipster brunching. You've probably never heard of it.
This week, I introduced a long-time friend from WAAAAAAAAAY back in 2008 to my brunches: Tamara Burgess. She was 17 back then. (I was 26) I can feel the hairs on my head graying as I type those words. As her and Codie chatted about things like Sponge Bob episodes, I began to realize that most all of my friends are younger than me. (That includes you, Andrew. 26 hours is 26 hours)
I appreciated the menu, as there were not a whole lot of choices to confuse me with, and the large block-lettering made it so I didn't have to use my magnifying glass to read it. I made my choice in minutes, and could then focus on more important tasks, like yelling at kids to get off my lawn, and grumbling about how hard we all had it "back in my day."
The coffee was very nice, and mellow. Four cups of it didn't make me grind my dentures, like it would normally. Tamara could probably have used a bit stronger brew, as she was into her 23rd straight hour awake, due to a Disney over-nighter. She seemed to hold up well enough, though. And when this came out, all thoughts of sleep seemed to evaporate:
Grand Mariner french toast. Couldn't really taste the Grand Mariner in it, but it did have a little kick of something else to it. Those orange slices pulled the whole experience together. Light on the syrup did the trick. It was fairly thick, but soft enough to gum a few bites without my dentures.
Codie ended up going for something different than her normal sugar-stuffed sugar blintz. She went after an omelet.
That omelet is crammed to the nines with bacon, sausage and other delicious things that I cannot have. That magnatude-8 omelet certainly gave her a run for her money - she wasn't able to finish it. Those are light butter-cream cinnamon rolls toward the bottom of the picture. her and I both had one and agreed that they were fairly disappointing. The omelet, however, was hearty. It smelled strongly of herbs. ...or was that my cologne? I don't remember.
I decided to go fancy this time. One person got french toast, and one person got an omelet. And I so rarely go after a Benedict.
That is a crab-cake Benedict on a bed of baby kale with sriracha sauce underneath, and a spicy hollandaise on top. Each bite of this iridescent dish was a five-layered flavor explosion in my mouth. I appreciated the colors in this dish, as it made it very easy to see what I was eating, and exactly where on my tie I spilled it. It's one of the most expensive things on the menu (not prohibitively so) which makes the fact that it's ala carte a little annoying at first. I quickly got over that fact, though, and by the end of the dish was wholly satisfied.
The price tag for this meal was about $18 per person. That included coffees for Tamara and I, and a cranberry juice for Codie. It was well worth it, especially in an atmosphere that is comfy and cozy. The small nature of the place made for frequent visits from wait-staff, which only is sometimes annoying. Better to have too much help than none at all, though. All in all, it was very good, Braden. Good choice. Now give me back my cane and come visit me again next week!
With Phillip "Depends" Meyer, Tamara "Sleep Dep" Burgess, and Codie "No" Beck
eatthiscafe.com
Braden had been wanting to take us to this place for a while, now. And I was thrilled when he contacted me midway through the week to suggest going to this place. You see, Braden often is not available to brunch with me on Sundays due to work. So my little heart got all excited when he mentioned that he would be there this week for brunch.
And then he backed out.
Now, I know that work often oppresses him in ways that can be described as familial. And I do not pretend to know the extent of what he has to deal with. But he got my hopes up, and then broke my brunch-heart. So, as revenge, I went to the very place that he suggested!
Eat This Cafe - The corner store of hipster brunching. You've probably never heard of it.
This week, I introduced a long-time friend from WAAAAAAAAAY back in 2008 to my brunches: Tamara Burgess. She was 17 back then. (I was 26) I can feel the hairs on my head graying as I type those words. As her and Codie chatted about things like Sponge Bob episodes, I began to realize that most all of my friends are younger than me. (That includes you, Andrew. 26 hours is 26 hours)
I appreciated the menu, as there were not a whole lot of choices to confuse me with, and the large block-lettering made it so I didn't have to use my magnifying glass to read it. I made my choice in minutes, and could then focus on more important tasks, like yelling at kids to get off my lawn, and grumbling about how hard we all had it "back in my day."
The coffee was very nice, and mellow. Four cups of it didn't make me grind my dentures, like it would normally. Tamara could probably have used a bit stronger brew, as she was into her 23rd straight hour awake, due to a Disney over-nighter. She seemed to hold up well enough, though. And when this came out, all thoughts of sleep seemed to evaporate:
Grand Mariner french toast. Couldn't really taste the Grand Mariner in it, but it did have a little kick of something else to it. Those orange slices pulled the whole experience together. Light on the syrup did the trick. It was fairly thick, but soft enough to gum a few bites without my dentures.
Codie ended up going for something different than her normal sugar-stuffed sugar blintz. She went after an omelet.
That omelet is crammed to the nines with bacon, sausage and other delicious things that I cannot have. That magnatude-8 omelet certainly gave her a run for her money - she wasn't able to finish it. Those are light butter-cream cinnamon rolls toward the bottom of the picture. her and I both had one and agreed that they were fairly disappointing. The omelet, however, was hearty. It smelled strongly of herbs. ...or was that my cologne? I don't remember.
I decided to go fancy this time. One person got french toast, and one person got an omelet. And I so rarely go after a Benedict.
That is a crab-cake Benedict on a bed of baby kale with sriracha sauce underneath, and a spicy hollandaise on top. Each bite of this iridescent dish was a five-layered flavor explosion in my mouth. I appreciated the colors in this dish, as it made it very easy to see what I was eating, and exactly where on my tie I spilled it. It's one of the most expensive things on the menu (not prohibitively so) which makes the fact that it's ala carte a little annoying at first. I quickly got over that fact, though, and by the end of the dish was wholly satisfied.
The price tag for this meal was about $18 per person. That included coffees for Tamara and I, and a cranberry juice for Codie. It was well worth it, especially in an atmosphere that is comfy and cozy. The small nature of the place made for frequent visits from wait-staff, which only is sometimes annoying. Better to have too much help than none at all, though. All in all, it was very good, Braden. Good choice. Now give me back my cane and come visit me again next week!
With Phillip "Depends" Meyer, Tamara "Sleep Dep" Burgess, and Codie "No" Beck
eatthiscafe.com

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteYou youngsters... I may have to join you this week.
ReplyDeleteListen here, you, you only mock my dependency on sugar because your precious old kidneys can't handle it.
ReplyDelete^this
ReplyDelete