October 4th, 2015 - (Ann's Pick)
A Letter to Moore's Delicatessen:
Dear, Moore's,
Is it okay that I call you Moore's? Is that too familiar? I suppose you would be okay with it. You're a very informal place like that. A place where you order at the counter, then find your own seat, pour your own coffee and water - you're approachable, and I like that in a restaurant. You also have great character.
Literally. There are characters drawn all over you. Now, I'm not much of a tattoo fan, but I can appreciate when something is done well, and the room that we brunched in was covered in a wonderful array of sketch-like black-ink drawings of all sorts.
So, I'm sure you're wondering why this letter feels so halting. If you have all these wonderful characteristics, (and you ARE wonderful. In every way) why does it feel like I'm about to say something bad?
Well, you're right. You see, Ann, Shelly and I found ourselves zoning out a little bit over brunch. One pause led to another, and it became apparent that this brunch was just not the energetic brunch that we're used to. But it had nothing to do with you! You're great! It was really our fault. You see, Ann had her birthday party on Friday and, quite frankly, she's still recovering from it. I am recovering from that, as well as two monumentally long drives up and down the I-5 corridor. Shelly was fine, but really had nothing to work with from us two, and so she began to feel tired as well.
I just want you to know that you didn't do anything wrong, Moore's Delicatessen. (I have to call you that. It feels wrong just calling you "Moore's") In fact, when you brought out my order of the smoked salmon scramble and oatmeal, there were real sparks.
As an Oregonian, I am critical of my salmon, and your salmon was done very well. Even the egg bread toast was wonderful. Your coffee was light and bold all at once, and your oatmeal was perfect. Ann even said that her granola yogurt dish was balanced and crunchy, and that her corned beef hash scramble was done so well she might have thought that an Irishman made it for her.
Shelly didn't have a lot to say about her plate, but that was probably due to the fact that she was too busy eating it to comment on it. For a mere traditional bacon, eggs, potatoes and toast breakfast, it certainly looked and felt like more.
Like I said, there were REAL sparks. The excitement was there, it really was. You're even very affordable! It only cost me $17 for everything I had. (Endless coffee, salmon scramble, oatmeal) And you didn't do anything to ruin it.
Yeah, it might have been a tad quiet in the room, and perhaps the white walls with sketches on them wasn't the GREATEST atmosphere, but it was GOOD. I think it was just a case of bad timing. I don't want to make this awkward for us both, so I'm leaving this letter for you to tell you why we walked away like we did, but to let you know that you're worth a real look. From anyone.
And who knows? Maybe one day when the timing is right, we'll walk back in through your doors and give it another go. And I know it'll be good. Because you ARE good. You're very good. Hell, we might even become regulars, if the timing is right. You're just not what we needed right now.
Wishing you all the success in the world,
Phillip "It's not you, it's me" Meyer, Ann "We should just be friends" Beckette, and Shelly "We both deserve better" Gillette
(P.S. In all seriousness, though, this place made some really good food. You should check it out.)
http://www.mooresdeli.com/menu.html
A Letter to Moore's Delicatessen:
Dear, Moore's,
Is it okay that I call you Moore's? Is that too familiar? I suppose you would be okay with it. You're a very informal place like that. A place where you order at the counter, then find your own seat, pour your own coffee and water - you're approachable, and I like that in a restaurant. You also have great character.
Literally. There are characters drawn all over you. Now, I'm not much of a tattoo fan, but I can appreciate when something is done well, and the room that we brunched in was covered in a wonderful array of sketch-like black-ink drawings of all sorts.
So, I'm sure you're wondering why this letter feels so halting. If you have all these wonderful characteristics, (and you ARE wonderful. In every way) why does it feel like I'm about to say something bad?
Well, you're right. You see, Ann, Shelly and I found ourselves zoning out a little bit over brunch. One pause led to another, and it became apparent that this brunch was just not the energetic brunch that we're used to. But it had nothing to do with you! You're great! It was really our fault. You see, Ann had her birthday party on Friday and, quite frankly, she's still recovering from it. I am recovering from that, as well as two monumentally long drives up and down the I-5 corridor. Shelly was fine, but really had nothing to work with from us two, and so she began to feel tired as well.
I just want you to know that you didn't do anything wrong, Moore's Delicatessen. (I have to call you that. It feels wrong just calling you "Moore's") In fact, when you brought out my order of the smoked salmon scramble and oatmeal, there were real sparks.
As an Oregonian, I am critical of my salmon, and your salmon was done very well. Even the egg bread toast was wonderful. Your coffee was light and bold all at once, and your oatmeal was perfect. Ann even said that her granola yogurt dish was balanced and crunchy, and that her corned beef hash scramble was done so well she might have thought that an Irishman made it for her.
Shelly didn't have a lot to say about her plate, but that was probably due to the fact that she was too busy eating it to comment on it. For a mere traditional bacon, eggs, potatoes and toast breakfast, it certainly looked and felt like more.
Like I said, there were REAL sparks. The excitement was there, it really was. You're even very affordable! It only cost me $17 for everything I had. (Endless coffee, salmon scramble, oatmeal) And you didn't do anything to ruin it.
Yeah, it might have been a tad quiet in the room, and perhaps the white walls with sketches on them wasn't the GREATEST atmosphere, but it was GOOD. I think it was just a case of bad timing. I don't want to make this awkward for us both, so I'm leaving this letter for you to tell you why we walked away like we did, but to let you know that you're worth a real look. From anyone.
And who knows? Maybe one day when the timing is right, we'll walk back in through your doors and give it another go. And I know it'll be good. Because you ARE good. You're very good. Hell, we might even become regulars, if the timing is right. You're just not what we needed right now.
Wishing you all the success in the world,
Phillip "It's not you, it's me" Meyer, Ann "We should just be friends" Beckette, and Shelly "We both deserve better" Gillette
(P.S. In all seriousness, though, this place made some really good food. You should check it out.)
http://www.mooresdeli.com/menu.html

No comments:
Post a Comment