The Waffle - A stylish little diner right next to the Columbia College media center. The Waffle is there to serve delicious Belgian-style waffles in a cute little 60's diner motif.
The media center is there as a place to lean against while you wait for seating at The Waffle.
The Waiting:
Oh, I didn't wait that long for seating. In fact, the staff there were VERY good about getting people seated. The line in front of me would normally have taken 45 minutes to an hour in Portland. My name was called 15 minutes after I put my name in. I did a quadruple take. (If you want to know what a quadruple take looks like, look up "Patrick Stewart Quadruple Take" on YouTube. You're welcome)
Also, I found out later, there is a little bar outside the restaurant where you can order drinks while you wait for seating. It was probably for the best that I did not initially notice this, otherwise I would have been face-down drunk at the breakfast bar using a bowl of waffle batter as a crown, holding a spatula as a scepter and making people swear their fealty to King Waffle.
Parking on Sunset Blvd. is an absolute catastrophe. There are about seven spots total over a three mile stretch, and they are all metered. One of them is a two hour spot. So, here's a tip: There is allegedly a parking lot on Argyle street right next to the restaurant that accepts validation from The Waffle for 90 minutes. For two hours of parking, expect to pay two bucks. I wish I had known this sooner, as I was tagging out every hour to go run my card in a parking meter.
The Service:
Our server, Ginny, handled our group like a pro. When asked, she gave great suggestions, and not one of them involved us jumping off a bridge. Also: Ginny was totally pregnant. No mistaking it. No hiding it. COMPLETELY preggers. Walking around with a purpose and quickness of one who "has this shit under control." You can tell she will be a good mother.
Codie and I are writers. We are also theatre nerds. To say that we debate things often and loudly is an understatement. It is like a Greek debate with us, full of expression, gesticulation, and ethos. Ginny did a fantastic job of knowing when to leave us alone, and just refill our glasses, and knowing when to come over and take care of us. We waited maybe three minutes for the check to be picked up and split. Just well done.
The Drinks:
They serve "double-wide" mimosas there for $6 a pop. It will last you the whole brunch, unless you're there to DRINK. The champagne they use is bitter, and the orange juice only serves to bring out how tart the champagne is. It adds a nice contrast to the sweetness of the waffles. Also, they are served in a mason jar mug. Charmingly dive.
Bill declined a mimosa, citing lightweight tendencies. If anyone has a good synonym for "one-bottle-willy" or "two-beer-queer", please post. I need more names to call him.
The coffee is also tart, and good. It's a little strong and a little bitter, but it serves as a great pairing to the sweet food. Make no mistake - the coffee and the featured cocktails are geared toward the waffles
The Food:
I was torn between getting the blueberry lemon waffle, or the banana walnut waffle. When I asked the server which one I should choose, she said, "why don't you get half of each?" My brain hiccuped, and my eyes read, "404 File Not Found". Ginny simply wrote down my implied order, and moved on to the next person with a smile. (Thanks, future mom!) It ended up being about two bucks more for that "special" order.
The blueberry lemon waffle was a bit much. There were a few blueberries in the waffle, but mostly it was a compote that was paired with a HEAPING portion of lemon curd on top. My only note would be less lemon curd. It felt like my brain was trying to escape the lemon curd through my sinuses - and it completely overpowered any chance of me tasting waffle.
The waffle that I LOVED was the banana walnut waffle. Both things baked in the waffle, with a little bit of clotted cream and some strawberries on top.
Now THIS is a waffle. The tastes complemented each other with a lightness that allowed each flavor to stand alone, as well as blend together - while still being sweet enough to work with the drinks. If you're going to get a sweet waffle, I HIGHLY recommend this one.
For the savory side, Ann got the hashbrown waffle. As she put it later, it was "freaking boom good". I did not try it, however my very talkative friend was silently mesmerized by this waffle for a solid ten minutes while she enjoyed it. Eggs and clotted cream are also on this bad boy. All I can think is that if a waffle can shut us up, it's good.
The Cost:
This is one of the things that EVERYONE wants to know: Was it affordable? This is the best part about the meal - the total cost. I got two halves of a giant waffle, two scrambled eggs, a coffee, and a double-wide mimosa. My total bill was $24. Add a tip and parking, and it rounds to an even $30. If you don't want to spend a ton of money, you can totally just have a waffle and some water and spend HALF that.
$30 total to hang out with four really awesome people, eat a bunch of food that I didn't prepare, and pontificate on the nature of a constantly dying art is a bargain. Add a pleasant 1960s atmosphere, with good service and almost no wait time? I'd say that's a win. And something to be thankful for that we can even do.
From left to right: Bill Neitz, esq., THE Codie Beck, Dr. Shelly Gillette, Ann "Bucks-up" Beckette, and Duke Phillip M. Meyer II
http://thewafflehollywood.com/

No comments:
Post a Comment