Sunday, September 20, 2015

The Baker Bakery & Cafe - Ventura Blvd. (Woodland Hills)

September 20th, 2015 - (Phil's Choice)


The Baker Bakery and Cafe from the outside looks like a forgotten deli in an old strip mall. I actually don't even remember what was next to this place. I think there was a dry-cleaning place in there somewhere, but it all sort of looked the same as the rest of the area: desolate.

And then I walked inside and found myself sitting between two worlds. On one side, it was a very nice bakery with a glass case of pastries that would make anyone with a sweet tooth empty their wallet. On the other side it was a classy little cafe and restaurant with a laid-back atmosphere and a serving staff that was very friendly, if a bit shy at times.


Shorty after I took this picture, all of the tables you see were filled. There was never a wait list for seating, but there were never more than one or two tables open after 9:30am.

I was, as usual, early to this little get together. I sat down and ordered a coffee. I was then brought a bread basket with three slices of their house made bread and a little triple dish of butter, kalamata olives, and basil feta cheese. Simple and delicious. The coffee was a good, mild brew of what I can only imagine is a standard coffee like a Starbucks blend. Not brewed to burnt water strength, but with just enough kick to get your pants up and crush the day.

The three people involved in this brunch are the original three who suggested weekly brunch. Ann and I, of course, were there. But this time, we were graced by the presence of Braden Yandel. Braden brought with him his taste for the savory to the table - ordering a very nice looking eggs benedict with what appeared to be some form of beef.


That is a dish of salsa off to the side of the plate. I had some. It's spicy. I bet it goes very well with the beef.

I'm pretty sure it's beef and not bacon, because there were only turkey bacon options, and Braden vowed that turkey bacon was sacrilege, and he would not do it. Ann nodded and continued to munch on her "Brioche French Toast", grumbling like a happy little minion.

I'm going to be honest, even as I typed the word "brioche" I did not know what it meant. Just looked it up. Apparently it's defined as a "really eggy bread". It just looked like French Toast to me. I mean, it looked like GOOD French Toast, but it didn't look ESPECIALLY French. Ann, however, approved of it by saying, "mmmm... jaaaa..." when asked if it was good.


I decided to go big today. I had the one thing on the menu that this place is known for: The Stuffed French Toast Tower. On all the websites it got the highest ratings out of anything else on the menu. And when it arrived, I actually said, "oh, my God."


Because it looks like a cake. This French Toast was ABSOLUTELY stuffed with a strawberry-jam-cream-cheese filling, and topped with their own hand-made clotted cream. A small drizzle of syrup took this dish from the realm of unhealthy, right into diabetes-inducing. Each bite I took of this wonderful dish required me to drink some coffee to bring the sugar intensity level down in my mouth.

This may have been the slowest I've ever had to eat anything. Usually I go from zero-to-empty-plate in a matter of five minutes. Which always prompts people to ask if I actually enjoyed what I ate. Then I have to explain to everyone that I eat faster the more I love it. Then they judge me for it, and the rest of the meal I make a self-conscious effort to chew each bite 30 times so that I don't feel the fiery wrath of other people's judgy-eyes on me. Point being, that the richness of the food was a little daunting, but certainly worth every bite. And I didn't get judged for cramming my face like a warthog!

In the end, I paid $18, not including tip. That was for a bottomless coffee, a side of two scrambled eggs, and the French Toast Tower. The bread basket was free. If you are in Woodland Hills, or in any of the surrounding communities, or have a car and can brave Highway 101 in the morning, this place is a phenomenal place to sit down and enjoy a laid-back time with a few friends.


From left to right: Braden "Always Lit" Yandel, Phillip "M Stands for Manly" Meyer, and Ann "Me Want Banana" Beckette

www.thebakerbakerycaferestaurant.com

4 comments:

  1. Maybe I'll make it one of these days... If the stars align and we can go to The Federal for bottomless mimosas and two meals for $25.:)

    Also apparently years ago I used the name C-Rizzle.... So that's what I'll post as from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at that photo... I had hair last time I commented on these things.

      Delete